Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thai Coconut Chicken Soup

Although I don't like coconut (it's a texture issue), I love this soup. It's savory, spicy, and comforting all at the same time. I found several recipes online and combined them to create this one. There are definitely some usual ingredients, such as the kaffir lime leaves, but these are essential to getting the right flavor combination. The recipes I read called for lemongrass, which I couldn't find. My substitution: the zest from one lemon and a sautéed shallot. Lemongrass can be overpowering and the flavor of my substitution is more subtle. I used lite (how it's spelled on the can) coconut milk to save some calories and fat. Because of this, the color of the soup is slightly gray instead of white; regular coconut milk would fix this. I think this experiment is a success—enjoy!

Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp. olive oil
1 qt. chicken broth
Zest of 1 lemon
3 kaffir lime leaves, torn (I found these with the herbs at Whole Foods.)
1 (3-inch) piece ginger, peeled and sliced
1 jalapeño, halved and seeded
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
8 oz. baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
Salt and pepper

1. Sauté shallot in hot oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Add in chicken broth and next 5 ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes; remove and discard solids. Stir in coconut milk and next 4 ingredients; season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

No comments: