Thursday, May 31, 2012

Corn Tortilla Step-by-Step

homemade corn tortillas
Homemade corn tortillas are one item on my quest to learn to make as many things as possible from scratch. Ana, a friend of my mom’s, agreed to show me how her mom taught her. The ingredients list is simple: masa, a pinch of salt, and water. Scoop some masa in a bowl, add a pinch of salt, and then add water, mixing with your hands as you do, until a dough ball forms. The trick involves getting the right consistency—you want it to feel a bit like Play-Doh and not stick to your hands. After shaping into a small disk and then flattening, the tortillas cook on a hot ungreased griddle. Ana has a tortilla press. I improvised on the batch I made at home with my cast-iron skillet, which worked pretty well. My tortillas weren't quite as good as Ana's, but practice makes perfect.


You can buy masa at the grocery store.
This is the right consistency for the dough.



A split zip-top bag keeps the dough
from sticking to the tortilla press.
Cook tortillas at 400° on an ungreased griddle,
about 3 minutes per side.

No comments: