Monday, August 25, 2008

Use for Garden Vegetables

My grannie plants a large garden every year (it produces more than one person could eat). As her grandchild, I am often the receiver of the abundant produce. However, it seems like it all comes in at one time. How many ripe tomatoes can A and I eat? Not enough. To use up the bounty Grannie gives me, I have begun making a roasted tomato sauce. You can make as much or as little as you want.

Preheat oven to 400°. Line a jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil. Cut tomatoes into quarters and place on prepared pan. Depending on the number of tomatoes used, cut 1 or 2 Vidalia onions into eighths and place on pan. Add 3 or 4 garlic cloves. If you have zucchini or eggplant, slice it up and add to the pan as well. Roast veggies at 400° for 45 minutes or until very soft. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Then puree in a food processor or with an immersion blender. Allow to cool completely, divide into zip-top plastic freezer bags, and freeze. Thaw the sauce in the fridge the day you want to serve it, and heat. Serve over pasta or use it as the sauce for Chicken Parmesan. —PHH

2 comments:

Robin said...

This sounds delicious. I am going to make this sometime this week.

Thanks, Paula, for the inspiration.

Katie B's Mom

Katie B said...

So I guess my mom's reading your blog now. No pressure :)