Buttermilk Ice Cream
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cups sugar
6 egg yolks
2 cups buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla
Pinch of salt
1. Combine cream, milk, and 1 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
2. Whisk together egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar in a bowl.
3. Remove cream mixture from the heat, and slowly whisk a small amount into the yolks, whisking constantly. Continue whisking in small amounts of cream mixture until all is combined.
4. Return mixture to stovetop, and cook over low heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain the mixture, and whisk in the buttermilk, vanilla, and salt. Cool completely.
5. Pour mixture into the bowl of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.