Risotto Cakes With Simple Tomato Sauce
Make the risotto the day before serving to allow time to chill the mixture.
1 onion, chopped
2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
2 (32-oz.) cartons chicken broth
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 thick-cut bacon slices, chopped and cooked
Salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp. milk
2 cups breadcrumbs
4 Tbsp. butter
Simple Tomato Sauce
1. Sauté onion in hot oil for 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in wine; cook until wine is absorbed. Stir in 1 cup chicken broth, and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Gradually add in remaining chicken broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring regularly until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in herbs, Parmesan cheese, and bacon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Spread risotto onto an aluminum foil-lined sheet pan, and refrigerate overnight.
3. Combine eggs and milk in a pie plate. Place breadcrumbs in another pie plate. Shape chilled risotto into patties, and dredge in egg mixture and then breadcrumbs.
4. Heat olive oil and 2 Tbsp. butter in a skillet. Cook risotto cakes in batches, using additional oil and butter, until golden and crisp on both sides (about 4 minutes per side). Serve warm with tomato sauce.
Simple Tomato Sauce:
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
1. Sauté onion in hot oil, stirring often, 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in garlic and next 2 ingredients, and cook 1 more minute. Stir in tomatoes and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Use immersion blender to puree mixture until smooth. Simmer for 5 more minutes.