Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes

Green tomatoes were another of my farmers market purchases on Saturday. Tonight I served them to my in-laws for dinner with hamburgers. I have made this dish several times, but these were the best yet. I think the key is to not touch them once you drop them in the oil. I used homemade breadcrumbs, but panko would work as well. On the side, we had Easy RĂ©moulade. Enjoy!

Fried Green Tomatoes
Sliced green tomatoes
Salt
All-purpose flour
Pepper
Buttermilk
Homemade Breadcrumbs
Peanut oil

1. Sprinkle tomato slices with salt. Place flour, buttermilk, and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes. Sprinkle salt and pepper into flour. Dredge tomatoes in flour, buttermilk, and then breadcrumbs.
2. Fry tomatoes, in batches, in hot oil in Dutch oven for about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

No comments: