Monday, November 16, 2009

Roasted Cauliflower

Call me lazy! We don't have a lot of side dishes around here—I'm more of a one-dish kind of cook who occasionally throws a salad or green beans into the mix. But my laziness doesn't stop me from looking for yummy-sounding sides. I read a lot of food magazines and lately have noticed several recipes for cauliflower. I've never been a fan of raw cauliflower; it's too strong. It's one of those vegetables that you don't see very often, except leftover on a crudité tray. Andy grew up eating cauliflower and likes it, so tonight I decided to roast it. (I feel strongly that I need to try foods I don't think again. This philosophy has expanded my palate in numerous ways.) I served it with Beef Burgundy and Garlic Mashed Potatoes. I really liked the flavor of the cauliflower; it will probably reappear on my Thanksgiving menu. Enjoy!

Roasted Cauliflower
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
4 slices sourdough French bread
2 Tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Cut cauliflower florets into slices. Place on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Bake at 425° for 20 to 30 minutes or until cauliflower begins to brown and softened.
3. Process bread slices in food processor to make crumbs. Melt butter, and stir into breadcrumbs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste; stir in marjoram.
4. Combine roasted cauliflower and breadcrumb mixture in a gratin dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Leah said...

I cook frozen cauliflower in the microwave, mash it up, and add garlic salt and laughing cow cheese wedges. We love it!

Katie B said...

I made your cornbread dressing today, and it was delicious! Luke ate a helping and asked for more. You know that's a big deal.