Monday, September 27, 2010

Blueberry Scones

Andy loves scones, so when I saw The Pioneer Woman's post on Petit Vanilla Bean Scones, I knew I had to try them. However because I rarely make recipes the way they are written, my version is a variation. First, I used vanilla bean paste instead of whole vanilla beans (same flavor and look with no scraping). Second, I added dried blueberries (Andy's favorite) and omitted the glaze (would be too sweet for our taste). I worked the dough too much and therefore didn't achieve pretty triangles. Next time, I will also leave the dough a little thicker. The texture is similar to a soft shortbread, thanks to all the butter. Enjoy!

Blueberry Scones
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cups sugar
5 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, cut into pats
1 egg
1/2 cup dried blueberries

1. Combine cream and vanilla. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and next 3 ingredients. Cut in half of butter with a pastry cutter or two forks; cut in remaining butter. Mixture should resemble wet sand.
2. Beat egg into cream mixture, and pour into flour mixture. Add in blueberries, and stir just until combined. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll into a rectangle about 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick. Cut the rectangle into smaller rectangles and the smaller rectangles into triangles. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
3. Bake at 350° for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden.

No comments: