Sunday, August 21, 2011

Menu 25: Brunch

Most Sunday mornings, Andy and I go to our favorite local coffee shop on the way to church. Because we get there right when they open, the scones and muffins are right out of the oven. Andy's favorite is the blueberry scone. I don't make scones very often because, although they aren't hard, I'm not a fan of kneading and shaping dough. The other day I saw a chef on the food network use an ice-cream scoop to make scones. She totally skipped the kneading and rolling! This inspired me to try my hand at developing a good blueberry scone recipe (any zest-and-dried fruit combo would work). I used my favorite 2-tablespoon size scoop that I use for cookies. The results were delicious! To round out the menu, we had Creamy Grits, bacon, and fruit. Enjoy!

Blueberry Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Zest from half lemon
3/4 cup butter, cut into cubes
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup dried blueberries

1. Place flour and next 4 ingredients in food processor bowl; add in butter. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse sand. Place flour mixture in a mixing bowl. Stir in eggs and buttermilk until combined; add in blueberries. Scoop batter onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
2. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until done.

No comments: