Wednesday, November 7, 2012
ME Feast: Naan
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1 envelope instant yeast
2 tsp. sugar
1 cup room-temperature water
1/4 plain whole-milk yogurt
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
1. Combine both flours, yeast, sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp. salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the water and next 2 ingredients; mix on low speed until a loose dough forms.
2. Replace paddle with dough hook; knead the dough on medium speed until smooth and glossy, about 8 minutes, adding additional all-purpose flour in 1-Tbsp. increments as needed for the dough to clear the sides of the bowl. Remove dough to a lightly floured surface; knead dough for 1 minute.
3. Shape dough into a ball, and place in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap, and place in a warm, draft-free spot for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and divide dough into 12 equal portions. Gently shape each portion into a ball, and flatten out into a 6-inch circle.
5. Cook each circle on a lightly greased griddle for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Brush naan with melted butter and sprinkle with additional salt, if desired. Serve warm.