Sunday, September 27, 2009

Chicken-and-Sausage Jambalaya

Last week I was flipping through my recipe box and came across a jambalaya recipe from an old friend and his mother-in-law. I had completely forgotten about the recipe (it's probably been eight years since I've made it), but I remembered it being yummy. When I made it last night, I put my own stamp on it. I think you'll like this recipe—it is a little spicy without being overwhelmingly so. It would be great to serve at a ballgame, take to a sick friend, or freeze in small portions to pull out on a busy weeknight. There's a lot of chopping involved, but the flavor profile (I mean taste) is completely worth it. We had this with roasted garlic bread. Enjoy!

Chicken-and-Sausage Jambalaya
3 onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
5 celery stalks, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
1 to 2 Tbsp. Creole seasoning (taste to make sure the flavor is right)
1 lb. sausage (Italian or andouille), casings removed
3 cups rice
5 to 6 cups chicken stock
3 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/4 cup pureed tomatoes
2 lb. shredded cooked chicken

1, Sauté onions and next 3 ingredients in hot oil, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften (about 15 minutes). Stir in garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Add in sausage, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is cooked. Stir in Creole seasoning. Stir in rice, and sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in chicken stock and next 2 ingredients.
2. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, until rice is done (about 20 minutes). Stir in shredded chicken, and cook 5 more minutes or until thoroughly heated.

No comments: