Monday, September 7, 2009

Cinnamon Roll Muffins

A couple of Saturdays ago, I made Sticky Buns with puff pastry dough. Andy told me he liked them, but that he really loved the cinnamon rolls I used to make with frozen biscuits. I had completely forgotten about those! (This blog is good for me—it gives me a reference point for the things I make. Because I love to try new recipes, I always forget about the old ones.) This weekend we were at the beach and I decided to bring back the Cinnamon Roll Muffins. (This is probably not the best name for this recipe, but it's all I can come up with right now.) This recipe is a variation of one from the September 2006 issue of SL. My variation came about, in part, because I didn't read the original recipe carefully enough and then when I decided to make it on Sunday, I didn't have a copy to reference and it has been at least a couple of years since I've made it. This recipe is super easy; however the steps may seem intimidating, so I took step-by-step photos to help. You'll definitely want this to become part of your breakfast repertoire!

Cinnamon Roll Muffins
1 bag frozen Southern-style biscuits
1/2 cup butter, softened
Brown sugar
Cinnamon
Dried cranberries
Vegetable cooking spray
Orange Juice Glaze

1. Place frozen biscuits in three rows on a lightly floured surface. Let stand 20 minutes or until thawed.
2. Once thawed, press biscuits together to create a rectangle.
3. Spread butter over top of biscuits; sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over the top. Sprinkle with dried cranberries.
4. Roll up, starting with 1 long side, to create a log. Slice log into 12 slices (cut off ends and discard).
5. Place slices in lightly greased muffin cups.
6. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Remove from muffin pans, and drizzle with glaze, if desired. Serve warm.

Orange Juice Glaze:
Powdered sugar
Orange zest
Orange juice

1. Pour desired amount of powdered sugar in a bowl. Stir in zest and juice, starting with 1 tsp. juice, until you create a glaze.

No comments: