Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sticky Buns

For breakfast this morning I wanted to make something different than pancakes or grits, our usual Saturday morning standbys. As I flipped through one of my Barefoot Contessa cookbooks, I came across a recipe for sticky buns that use frozen puff pastry dough. It seemed simple enough and I had the ingredients on hand, so I tried it. They are very sweet and look impressive, but they come together in a snap. Enjoy!

Sticky Buns
Makes 6 muffins
1/2 package frozen puff pastry
6 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 Tbsp. butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1. Place puff pastry on a cutting board; thaw at room temperature 40 minutes. Meanwhile, beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Stir in pecans. Place 1 Tbsp. butter mixture in bottom of 6 lightly greased muffin cups.
2. Spread 1 Tbsp. butter over top of puff pastry. Sprinkle butter with 2/3 cup brown sugar and cinnamon. Starting with 1 long side, roll up puff pastry into a log. Cut log into 6 slices. Place slices on top of butter mixture in muffin cups.
3. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until done. Serve warm.

No comments: