Sunday, October 11, 2009

Mexican Chicken Soup, take 2

It's been getting cooler during the last couple of weeks, so I decided it was time to break out a soup recipe. Last September, I posted this recipe for Mexican Chicken Soup. Andy and I really liked it, but I'm always up for trying new things. Earlier this week, my friend Cindy, who lives in San Antonio, sent me a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup that she got from the wife of a coworker. I decided to combine that recipe with the one from Barefoot Contessa to create my own version. The main thing that changed is the proportion of broth to the other ingredients; what I ended up with was more of a stew. I served the soup with Queso and Homemade Tortilla Chips. Enjoy!

Mexican Chicken Soup
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 (28-oz.) can whole tomatoes in puree
6 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp. cumin
2 lb. boneless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped*
Juice from 2 limes
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Toppings: diced avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips, shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1. Sauté onions and next 4 ingredients in hot oil 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and next 5 ingredients. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Serve with desired toppings.
*I baked mine (it was still frozen) at 350° with 1 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup butter, cumin, salt, and pepper for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

No comments: