Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Dinner for 11

Tonight the women in my summer Bible study (we did Beth Moore's Daniel—amazing!) came over for dinner. I made an eclectic menu: homemade tortilla chips with queso, kettle chips with garlic-herb cheese, Lemon-Chicken Pasta (see post on August 25), Baby Blue Salad (myrecipes.com), Cappuccino-Frosted Brownies (myrecipes.com), and Walnut Cake With Praline Frosting (pictured; from Cooking Light, September 2008, myrecipes.com). (Note about this recipe: I love Cooking Light recipes for main dishes, but I've never had good results with their baked goods. This recipe has changed my mind. It is yummy!) This group of women has been such a blessing to me. Together we had an experience that is challenging each of us to keep growing in our relationship with Christ.  —PHH

Queso
This is my version of the Spicy White Cheese Dip from the February 2006 issue of Southern Living. To make it in a slow-cooker, visit my recipes.com.
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 minced garlic clove
1 lb. white American cheese (purchase in the grocery store deli)
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1/2 cup milk
Tortilla chips

1. Sauté onion and garlic in a small amount of olive oil until tender. Tear cheese into pieces, and add to onion mixture. Add in tomatoes and green chiles and milk. Stir until combined. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted and dip is thoroughly heated.

Potato Chips With Garlic-Herb Cheese
1 bag kettle-cooked potato chips (such as Cape Cod)
1/2 container garlic-herb cheese spread (such as Alouette)
Milk or whipping cream

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Arrange chips in a baking dish. Place cheese and a small amount of milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave cheese mixture at HIGH for 30 seconds or until heated. Stir mixture to combine. Drizzle cheese mixture over potato chips. Bake at 350° for 2 minutes or until chips are heated.



2 comments:

Leah said...

I saw the walnut cake in my Cooking Light and wondered if it would be good...glad to know it is!

Katie B said...

I love that you served two types of chips.