Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pumpkin Coffee Cake


To celebrate the first day of fall, my favorite season, I made Pumpkin Coffee Cake yesterday. I had completely forgotten about it, which is too bad because it is wonderful. This past weekend we were in Atlanta visiting one of my best friends and college roommate Kristin and her family. Kris made this for us for breakfast on Saturday. When I complimented her on it, she reminded me it came from my recipe book. Thanks for the reminder, Kris. This would be really tasty with a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks! Full disclosure: As is typical, I didn't read the directions and therefore put the streusel on top, not in the middle. It's great either way. —PHH

Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup pumpkin
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 Tbsp. butter, softened

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add in eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Beat in sour cream and pumpkin.
3. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended.
4. Combine brown sugar and next 2 ingredients in a small bowl.
5. Pour half of batter into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with streusel mixture. Pour remaining half of batter on top.
6. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until done.

5 comments:

Jen B. said...

Okay...is there such a thing as a "stalker blogger"??? If so, then you may be worried. Seriously though, I was just feeling giddy about the BLT w/ avocado and then BAM...up comes this. I love pumpkin...Did you know that? Anything pumpkin...bread, pies, icecream...I need a nap!

Jaime said...

It was fantastic... Now that I have the recipe I will try it at home. Thanks!

Karen said...

I love pumpkin anytime of the year, especially Fall. I will have to give this a try. What a great suggestion to try this with a PSL from Starbucks -- just a little taste of heaven!

Just Us Chix said...

Ok, I love this blog, but you know I'm no cook. What do you mean by 1 cup of pumpkin?

Phh said...

I buy canned pumpkin at Whole Foods. You can also use Libby brand. The key is to buy pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.