Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Morning Sunshine

True confession: I don't like eggs. I've tried to eat them several times because I want to like them. Think of the meal possibilities: breakfast casseroles, egg sandwiches, quiche, frittatas. Unfortunately, I just can't get past the texture. I have a rule that if I disliked something as a kid, then I have to try it as an adult. This has worked out pretty well. Now I love (and in fact, can't imagine my life without) cheese, nuts, raisins, steak, and many other foods. However, I still can't eat eggs.

The point of all this: When I make breakfast on Saturdays, we never have eggs. Over the years, though, I've come up with some tasty breakfast combinations. This past Saturday, we had Garlic-Cheese Grits, Maple-Pecan Bacon (the perfect food made even better), and Cheesy Bacon Muffins. The muffin recipe is actually a variation of one I created a few months back. I learned to make sausage balls from my dear friend Sallie. She taught me to cook the sausage before combining it with the flour and cheese (most recipes let the meat cook while the sausage balls bake). Sallie's method creates very fluffy sausage balls. One morning as I was making them, it occurred to me that they would be even better in a larger size. So I made muffins by mixing in buttermilk and an egg. They are so tasty and very easy. —PHH

Garlic-Cheese Grits
1. Make grits according to the package directions of the brand you buy. (I prefer stone-ground ones.) As the grits start to thicken, stir in garlic-cheese spread (I used Alouette brand). I made two large servings of grits, so I used about a quarter of the container. Then stir in a little freshly grated Cheddar cheese and lots of pepper.

Maple-Pecan Bacon
8 bacon slices
Maple syrup
1/4 cup chopped pecans

1. Place bacon on a wire rack in a jelly-roll or baking pan. Brush tops of bacon with maple syrup. Sprinkle chopped pecans over the top. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bacon is done. (Check the bacon after 15 minutes because the syrup will make it brown quicker.

Cheesy Sausage Muffins
1 pound sausage (You can substitute cooked crumbled bacon.)
1 (8-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (You need to shred the cheese yourself; the preshredded variety is too dry.)
2 cups self-rising flour (You can probably substitute baking mix, such as Bisquick.)
Ground black pepper (optional) (This is a great addition when making these with bacon; I don't add it with the sausage.)
Buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten

1. Cook sausage in a skillet until browned and crumbly. Drain; rinse with hot water, and drain again.
2. Combine sausage, shredded cheese, and flour in a large bowl. (I use my hands to make sure it's all mixed together.) Stir in buttermilk until batter has the consistency of muffin batter. Stir in eggs.
3. Spray muffin pans with cooking spray. Spoon batter into muffin cups.
4. Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until muffins are done. Makes about 2 dozen.
Note: These are best served hot. But you can make them ahead and store in the refrigerator. To reheat, wrap the desired number in a kitchen towel or paper towel, and heat in the microwave.

5 comments:

Sallie said...

YUM - I have refreshments Sunday AM and actually thought about taking grits as a change in the routine. I may have to make these. And the biscuits - they look yummy - maybe Saturday morning I can whip them up!

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Ok, you now owe me a new keyboard since I have DROOLED all over this one! :o) I can't wait to try these recipes! They look so scrumptious! I am so happy you are blogging!

Lisa said...

OK I hate eggs too!! You don't meet many people who do. I have finally gotten over gagging when I make them for my kids. This menu looks fabulous.

Jen B. said...

I am Pro-breakfast...morning, noon, and night...and I do love me some eggs...but believe me, if I got this on a Saturday morning, I wouldn't complain!