Saturday, May 8, 2010

Chocolate Cupcakes With Peanut Butter Frosting

Cupcakes were on my mind today, so time spent baking was in order. Originally I thought I would make maple cupcakes, but I didn't make it to the store to buy syrup. (Don't worry, I'll make them soon!) After evaluating my pantry, I decided to make a variation of these cupcakes. When I had them the first time, I thought they would be even better if the peanut butter flavor was added to the chocolate and not just sitting on top. So I made a peanut butter-cream cheese filling to put in the middle of the cupcakes. The cake is very tender, so icing them wasn't easy. They aren't pretty, but they're tasty! Enjoy!

Chocolate Cupcakes With Peanut Butter Frosting
3/4 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
Peanut Butter Frosting

1. Beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, just until yellow disappears.
2. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients. Gradually add to butter mixture, alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Divide batter among lightly greased muffin cups.
3. Combine peanut butter and next 2 ingredients. Dollop on top of batter.
3. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until done. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Spread tops of cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting.

Peanut Butter Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
4 Tbsp. milk

1. Beat butter and peanut butter until blended. Beat in 2 cups powdered sugar. Beat in milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until spreading consistency; beat in additional 1/2 cup powdered sugar, if needed.

No comments: