Thursday, June 24, 2010

Zucchini Fries

I had lunch yesterday with some friends a fancy burger restaurant called Flip and enjoyed a shrimp burger with zucchini fries, which inspired me to come up with this version. Because of my market basket, we have an abundance of zucchini. For the coating, I dredged the zucchini wedges in seasoned flour, buttermilk, and Homemade Breadcrumbs. The next step was to fry the zucchini. (Yes, I have been frying a lot lately. What can I say—I'm a Southerner and we love fried veggies!) I served the fries with Easy RĂ©moulade. These were the perfect complement to the Rib-Eye Steaks and Risotto we had. Enjoy!

Zucchini Fries
4 zucchini, cut into small wedges
1 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper
2 cups Homemade Breadcrumbs
Peanut oil
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Place flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Place buttermilk and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes. Dredge zucchini wedges in flour, buttermilk, and breadcrumbs.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Fry zucchini, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with additional salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese while still warm. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, how I love zucchini fries! Yum! I'll have to try these sometime.

Jen said...

Yours look even better than the ones at Flip!