Monday, October 4, 2010

Plum Upside-Down Cake

Growing up, my mom made a cake that used plum baby food—it was delicious! I have fond memories of that cake, but you can't buy plain plum baby food anymore, so it's been years since she's made it. When I found this recipe in a old issue of Martha Stewart Living, I had to try it. The cake has the flavor of spice cake, but what sets this recipe apart is the brown sugar and butter that caramelize on the plum halves while it bakes. It’s is also great for breakfast. Enjoy!

Plum Upside-Down Cake
3 Tbsp. butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
5 red plums, halved and pitted
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup sour cream

1. Melt butter in a springform pan in a 375° oven. Remove pan from oven, and sprinkle brown sugar over melted butter. Place plums, cut sides down, in butter mixture.
2. Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add in eggs. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients. Gradually add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream. Spoon mixture over plums in prepared pan.
3. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until done. Cool completely, and invert onto serving plate.

3 comments:

Katie B said...

How funny! My neighbor came home from the grocery store not long ago complaining that she couldn't find plum baby food for a cake recipe. Must be the same thing!

Nancy said...

Yes, I did cook something good!

Stephanie said...

It took me awhile to realize that they quit making it. Of course, I bought it to eat … by itself. Not in a cake. You know how weird I am.