Saturday, January 28, 2012

Waffles and Berry Syrup

I’ve never tried my hand at waffles simply because we didn’t have a waffle-maker. This weekend, I borrowed one from my sister and we’ve had them several times since. The recipe I used is based on one from The Joy of Cooking and is very easy. For the berry syrup, I cooked down some frozen blackberries and raspberries in a bit of sugar until thickened. Enjoy!

Waffles
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Berry Syrup

1. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine butter and next 3 ingredients. Gradually stir butter mixture into dry ingredients just until combined.
2. Cook in a lightly greased waffle-maker until crisp and golden brown.

Berry Syrup:
2 cups frozen blackberries and raspberries
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. water

1. Combine ingredients in a saucepan. Cook, stirring often, until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens. Serve with waffles.

No comments: