Friday, December 14, 2012

Peppermint Bark Cookies

Nothing tastes like Christmas to me quite like peppermint bark. This simple-to-make candy is sweet, creamy, crunchy, and minty. My friends Carter, Caden, and Isabel spent the day with me, and we did a lot of cooking. Peppermint bark was on our to-do list—these kids love chocolate and peppermint! I sent half of it home with them but needed a plan for what was left. I decided to use my basic cookie recipe and add chopped bits of bark. The results are just right: a slightly salty-and-sweet cookie with the minty chocolate bits. My taste testers give this experiment two thumbs’ up. I don’t think I will wait until next Christmas to make more!

Peppermint Bark Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups chopped peppermint bark

1. Beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer until creamy. Add in eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
2. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a bowl. Gradually add to butter mixture; beat until combined. Stir in chopped peppermint bark.
3. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes.

No comments: