Saturday, May 30, 2009

Blueberry Pie

Last night we had some friends over for dinner. Another friend had given me some fresh blueberries her mom had picked, so I decided to make this pie for dessert. However, I changed it a bit to make it even easier. The variation is as tasty as the original. I usually buy refrigerated piecrusts, but I forgot to pick one up at the store, so I made a homemade crust instead. Trust me, it was very easy; anyone can do it. In fact, the recipe I used is the one for Fried Apple Pies. I omitted the cinnamon and nutmeg and added lemon zest to complement the berries.

Blueberry Pie
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 pint blueberries
Lemony Piecrust

1. Combine sour cream and next 6 ingredients in a bowl. Pour into prepared crust.
2. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until pie is golden and set. Serve warm with ice cream.

Lemony Piecrust:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. butter, cut into cubes and chilled
1/4 cup ice water
1 tsp. lemon zest

1. Combine flour and next 2 ingredients. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two forks until mixture resembles coarse sand.
Stir in ice water until mixture comes together. Stir in lemon zest. Shape dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic. Chill for at least 1 hour.
2. Roll out dough to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Fit dough into pan, and crimp edges.
3. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes.

No comments: