Saturday, May 2, 2009

Pork Chops With Apple Gravy

Pork chops are something we don't eat often. Too many memories of dried-out ones, I think. The trick to avoid that dried-out texture is to brown the pork on the stovetop and finish them in the oven. When I did my menu planning last week, I remembered this apple-potato-onion soup I made several years ago. Those flavors went together beautifully and seemed like great partners for pork chops, so I came up with this recipe. (I've also probably seen the "pork chopsh and appleshauche" Brady Bunch episode one time too many! I served the pork chops over buttermilk mashed potatoes. Definitely try this!

Pork Chops With Apple Gravy
1 tsp. olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
2 (1-inch-thick) bone-in pork chops
Salt
Pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
2 apples, chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
buttermilk mashed potatoes

1. Sauté chopped shallot in hot oil in a cast-iron skillet for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle pork chops on both sides with salt, pepper, thyme, and fennel seeds. Place in skillet, and brown on both sides. Add in chopped apple. Combine chicken stock, vinegar, and flour. Pour into skillet. Place skillet in preheated oven.
2 Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Serve pork chops, apples, and gravy over mashed potatoes.

No comments: