Thursday, November 25, 2010

Senator Russell’s Sweet Potatoes

Most families have a similar must-serve buttery pecan-topped sweet potato dish for the holidays. This version is from my mother-in-law who got it from her daughter’s mother-in-law. My original recipe is long gone, so I make it differently each year. Even though I get tired of making it, my family never gets tired of eating it. In fact my niece Lizzie thanked me for “making the BEST sweet potatoes EVER!” Enjoy!

Senator Russell’s Sweet Potatoes
4 sweet potatoes
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Zest and juice of 1 orange
1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup chopped pecans

1. Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork. Bake at 425° for 45 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through. Remove from oven, and allow to cool completely. Peel potatoes, and place in a bowl. Mash potatoes; stir in sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla, zest and juice, and, if desired, cinnamon. Pour mixture into a lightly greased baking dish.
2. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine brown sugar and next 2 ingredients in a skillet. Cook, stirring often, until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Spread brown sugar mixture over top of sweet potato mixture.
4. Bake at 30° for 10 more minutes.

No comments: