Saturday, October 18, 2008

Beef Brisket and Latkes














The cool fall air made me crave something hearty for dinner tonight. My inspiration was some of the traditional dishes served at Hanukkah celebrations: beef brisket and latkes (potato pancakes). Andy grew up eating brisket, so he was glad. Earlier this year, I made my first brisket and have tried a few recipes; I'll definitely make this again. The longer you cook brisket, the better it is. A few years ago at Christmas, my father-in-law and I made latkes, and I've been a fan ever since. What's not to like? For a side dish, we had roasted asparagus. Mom, Mel, Russ, and the girls came over, which means we laughed a lot. Good food, great company, and beautiful fall weather—the recipe for an enjoyable evening. (Because Mel doesn't eat beef, I cooked a chicken breast for her with the brisket.)

Beef Brisket
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 (2.5-lb.) beef brisket (Mine cost about $13 at the grocery store.)
Salt and pepper
4 large carrots, cut in chunks
3 celery stalks, cut in chunks
2 red onions, cut in chunks
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 rosemary springs, leaves removed and chopped
2 bay leaves

1. Brown brisket in hot oil on all sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Line a 13- x 9-inch pan or roasting pan with aluminum foil. Place vegetables in pan. Top with browned brisket. Pour red wine and tomatoes over top. Add in parsley and remaining ingredients. Cover with foil.
3. Bake at 400° for 2 1/2 hours or until meat is done. Remove from oven, and let stand for 15 minutes. Cut into thin slices. (I used my very handy electric knife.) Strain tomato mixture to serve as gravy. Serve sliced brisket with roasted vegetables and tomato gravy, if desired.

Latkes
The most important thing when making latkes is to make sure you squeeze as much moisture as possible out of the shredded potato and onion mixture. They stick together better when they are pretty dry.
4 russet potatoes, peeled
2 medium-size sweet onions
1/4 cup chopped chives
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper
Vegetable oil
Sour cream

1. Grate potatoes and onions with food processor (a box grater will also work). Place shredded potato-and-onion mixture in a clean kitchen towel, and squeeze to remove all moisture (this takes muscle). Place in a large bowl. Stir in chives, eggs, and salt and pepper.
2. Pour 1 inch of oil into a Dutch oven. When oil is hot, drop potato mixture in small balls into oil. Cook until golden on one side, flattening with a spatula. Turn and cook until the other side is golden. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve warm with sour cream.

3 comments:

Leah said...

I made your Creamy Chicken Enchiladas last night, and they were fabulous! I think what made them so great is the cream cheese that was stirred into the chicken mixture. Heinz said, "Wow!" I will definitely be making these again.

Phh said...

I'm glad you guys liked them! They freeze very well.

Jen B. said...

Seriously...did you think of me when you cooked these Latkes...you know how I love the Jews! (and for those who are reading this and don't know me...I'm not being prejudice...I REALLY do LOVE the Jewish people...nothing slanderous here!!! I'm buying a minorah tomorrow!