Friday, October 3, 2008

Little Food



Several of my girlfriends came over for dinner tonight. They were planning to surprise me with a birthday cake. However my 4-year-old niece told me they had my "polka-dot cake in the car and some ice cream too!" Thanks, girls, for the kind gesture; I loved sharing my birthday with you! I am so blessed to have these women in my life. They challenge me, encourage me, and make me laugh. The weather was beautiful, so we ate on the deck. Everyone brought her favorite appetizer(s) or dessert to share. Over the next few weeks, I hope to post some of their recipes. I made Feta Squares (November 2008 Southern Living, myrecipes.com), grits with several toppings, and Creme de Menthe Cake. The grits bar was a brainstorm my friend Sal and I had. It will become a repeat performer, for sure!

Grits for a Crowd
Makes about 15 servings
1 quart chicken stock
1 quart milk
2 cups stone-ground grits
Butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Toppings: shredded white Cheddar, cooked and crumbled bacon, sliced green onions, mushrooms sautéed in butter, Tomato Gravy (March 2008 SL, myrecipes.com), shrimp*

1. Bring stock and milk to a boil in a Dutch oven. Once mixture comes to a bowl, stir in a pinch of salt. Gradually whisk in grits and return mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer grits, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Stir in butter and salt and pepper to taste, Pour grits into a slow-cooker on WARM. Serve in punch cups with desired toppings.

* For the shrimp, melt 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet. Cook 3 minced garlic cloves in butter for 1 minute. Stir in 1 lb. (26/30 count) fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined. Cook until shrimp turn pink (about 3 to 5 minutes).

1 comment:

Jen B. said...

I love every chance I get to spend time with you ... and if you feel like you need to include our other friends too, well, that's fine! Love you!