Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Chocolate Chunk Cheesecake


This is probably one of my most requested desserts. Cheesecake is very easy to make (much more so than a layer cake), but it is very impressive to most folks. Once you make one, however, you'll see what a cinch it is. This is a particularly good one because the chocolate ganache covers the cracks that inevitably form in the top.

Chocolate Chunk Cheesecake
20 Oreos, crushed (I use my food processor.)
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
4 (8-oz.) blocks cream cheese, softened (I use two regular and two reduced-fat.)
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
14 Oreos, crushed
1/3 cup whipping cream

1. Combine 20 crushed Oreos and melted butter. Press into bottom and a little bit up the sides of a springform pan.
2. Beat cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer until blended and creamy. Add in eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla, 1 cup chocolate chips, and 14 crushed Oreos. Pour into prepared crust.
3. Bake at 325° for 55 minutes. Turn off oven, and let cheesecake stand in oven, with door partially open, for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool completely. Chill cheesecake 8 hours. Release sides of pan.
4. Microwave remaining 3/4 cup chocolate chips and whipping cream at HIGH for 1 minute or until chocolate chips are melted. Stir to combine. Spread ganache over top of cheesecake.

3 comments:

Robin said...

my mouth is watering. I am going to have to make this.....but I need to make the apple cake first.

Karen said...

Oh my goodness! This looks devine. I just wish I wasn't the only one in the house who liked cheesecake.

Just Us Chix said...

I am making this for Thanksgiving. So excited! ~A