Saturday, October 25, 2008

Persimmon Cakes


This has been a tough week at work, and my response to stress is to bake, so that's what I did all afternoon. I made Persimmon Cakes, Cranberry-Orange Muffins, Cinnamon Apple Cake, White Chocolate-Cherry Bars, and Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake. I'll post the new recipes over the next few days. The Persimmon Cakes came about because last weekend my sister and her family picked persimmons at a local garden center. She gave me a bagful, and I had to find something to do with them.

Persimmon Cakes
I made these in pumpkin-shaped mini Bundt pans. A muffin pan or round cake pan would also work.
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 (8-oz.) block cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
3 cups diced persimmons
Vegetable cooking spray

1. Beat sugar and next 2 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer. Mix in eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
2. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients. Gradually add to cream cheese mixture, beating until blended.
3. Stir in persimmons. Pour batter into pan coated with cooking spray.
4. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until done. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; remove cakes from pans,a nd let cool completely.

No comments: