Sunday, November 2, 2008

Chili


Now that's it's November, soups and stews will be a big part of my menus. Chili is one of those recipes that most people make the same way every time. However, I'm always trying new combinations; sometimes I use beef tips instead of ground beef, black beans instead of kidney beans, Texas style with no beans at all. This weekend I made it this way, which is pretty straightforward and tasty.

Chili
2 lb. ground sirloin
1 link Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 onion, chopped
2 minced garlic cloves
2 (14-oz.) cans onion-and-roasted garlic diced tomatoes
2 (8-oz.) cans tomato sauce
1 can black beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. cumin
Salt and pepper

1. Sauté ground sirloin, sausage, onion, and garlic in a Dutch oven until meat is browned and crumbly and onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, 2 cans beans, and remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes.

2 comments:

Terrell, JoAnn, Jordan and Tanner James said...

oh I have gained at least 15 pounds just reading your recipes. I am so inspired as well. Instead of looking in my cookbooks or on allrecipes.com, I'm just going to visit your blog. I am such a visual person and I LOVE seeing what my recipe should look like! Thanks for sharing and have a blessed week!
See you Sunday!
JoAnn

Just Us Chix said...

I love you! I love chili! I love this blog! ~A