Monday, November 3, 2008

Oatmeal-Golden Raisin Cookies


A coworker asked me to bake oatmeal-raisin cookies for an election day event at work on Tuesday. I've made oatmeal cookies a million times, and this is the first time I've ever made them with raisins. (I didn't like raisins for most of my life; in college I was known to pick them out of the cookies in the caf.) I like them now, but I prefer the golden ones to the regular purple variety. These cookies are bigger than the ones I normally make; I used my medium-size scoop (about 2 ounces) to shape them.

Oatmeal-Golden Raisin Cookies
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 box golden raisins

1. Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until blended and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flour and next 5 ingredients. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until completely blended. Stir in raisins. Scoop dough, using a medium-size scoop, onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
3. Bake at 350° for 13 to 14 minutes. Cool on pans 10 minutes; remove cookies to baking racks to cool completely.

No comments: