Friday, November 21, 2008

Cuban Sandwiches


These sandwiches remind me of the years my family lived in Tampa. There was a hole-in-the-wall Cuban restaurant near our church that had great Cuban sandwiches and black beans and rice. I made these on Friday night with the leftovers from Tuesday's Roasted Pork Tenderloin. The hallmark of these sandwiches is the combination of pork, yellow mustard, and dill pickles. Traditionally ham is also included, but I didn't have any for these.

Cuban Sandwiches
1 loaf ciabatta or Cuban bread
Yellow mustard
Jarlsberg or Swiss cheese, cut into slices
Leftover pork tenderloin, chopped or shredded
Dill pickles (I used dill pickle relish.)

1. Cut bread in half with a serrated knife; scoop out the center of bread, leaving a shell. Spread mustard on cuts sides of bread shell. Layer one side of bread with cheese, pork, and pickles. Top with remaining bread half. Wrap sandwich in foil.
2. Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until sandwich is warm and cheese is melted. Cut sandwich into 4 pieces.

1 comment:

PAR said...

Hi Paula, I just wanted to comment on this recipe because you mentioned the years that you lived in Tampa. Well, when I read that, it brought back great memories of all the fun times I had with you during those years. I got your blog information from your sister as we are facebook friends!! I read your blog all the time and have shared it with Amy and Dottie. Love, Phyllis (Scrawny)