Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cherry Cobbler


I think cobblers are the perfect dessert: warm fruit, a buttery crust, and, of course, topped with ice cream. Yes, I like chocolate, but a good cobbler is hard to beat, especially in winter. I'm always looking for new and improved ways to make them, and I think this recipe (inspired by one from SL) is the best for frozen fruit. Cherries are my fruit of choice, but berries would be tasty as well. The next time I make it, though, I'm going to replace some of the milk with amaretto and use almond extract instead of vanilla.

Cherry Cobbler
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla
2 bags frozen pitted cherries
Vanilla ice cream

1. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients. Pour into a lightly greased 13- x 2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle frozen cherries on top of batter.
2. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Serve warm with ice cream.

No comments: