Saturday, February 28, 2009

Poppy Seed Chicken and Rice

I haven't made this casserole in a while, but I needed an easy one-dish meal that freezes well to take to a friend. This dish makes me think about our newlywed days; this was a standard dish for most of my friends when we first got married. It's super-easy comfort food.


Poppy Seed Chicken and Rice
4 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used my slow-cooker method.)
1 (16-oz.) container sour cream
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cups cooked brown rice (I used Minute rice.)
2 sleeves Townhouse crackers
1/2 stick butter, melted

1. Combine chicken and next 6 ingredients, stirring until blended. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Combine crackers and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly over chicken mixture. (I froze it at this point.)
2. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Note: If frozen, thaw overnight in refrigerator. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature. Bake as directed.

2 comments:

Jen B. said...

This casserole reminds me of my single days. My casserole days ended, sadly, when I got married!!! But, actually, I'm bringing them back with my girls who LOVE them...their daddy eats ham sandwiches those nights!

Question...or favor...is there a way that you can list all your recipes somewhere that use cooked chicken? I just put on about 5 pounds of chicken in the slow cooker and am planning to freeze most. I'd love a "go to" place when I'm ready to actually make something. Does that make sense?

Phh said...

That's a good idea. I'll work on that. —P