Monday, February 16, 2009

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake


This was a new dessert for me. I'm not sure that what I came up with tastes like the traditional cake, but Andy and I really liked the results. We topped the cake with ice cream, of course. Instead of making a large cake, I used my jumbo muffin pan to make individual-size cakes.

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Vegetable cooking spray
1 can sliced pineapple
Brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup buttermilk

1. Coat jumbo muffin cups with cooking spray. Divide pineapple rings among muffin cups. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
2. Beat butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour and next 3 ingredients. Gradually add to butter mixture with buttermilk, beating until blended.
Spread batter over pineapples.
3. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Use a fork to remove cakes from pan; serve warm.

No comments: