Sunday, January 10, 2010

Citrus Vinaigrette

I love the flavor of citrus, especially this time of year when these fruits are at their peak. (Oranges are my favorite fruit, hands down.) For a couple of years, I've been trying to find a vinaigrette recipe that showcases the bright flavor of my favorite fruit and haven't been successful. Last night I volunteered to bring a salad to my sister's house (she fed us dinner) and decided to try creating a citrus vinaigrette. This recipe is a success! It has just enough orange flavor, and the sweetness of the honey balances the acid nicely. Dijon mustard and minced garlic add a little bit of a kick. I served it over Boston lettuce, grape tomatoes, and sliced carrots, but it would also be terrific over a salad with sliced avocado and sectioned oranges and grapefruits. (This has 1 point per tablespoon.) Enjoy!

Citrus Vinaigrette
1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 2 navel oranges)
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1 tsp. orange zest
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup olive oil

1. Combine orange juice and next 7 ingredients in a jar. Cover with lid, and shake until combined. Pour in olive oil, and shake unitl combined.

No comments: