Sunday, January 3, 2010

Poached Chicken

I have always been skeptical about poaching anything. It seems too hard. And when it comes to chicken, I found poaching unappealing because I was afraid it would create that gross chicken foam you get when you boil chicken. Good news: It doesn't! I was inspired to try this technique when I received my latest issue of Everyday Food. It turns out that poaching is very easy and requires minimum cooking. After the chicken was done, I shredded it, divided it into zip-top bags, and froze it for future use.

Poached Chicken
1 onion, halved
1 carrot, cut into thirds
1 celery stalk, cut into thirds
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 lemon, sliced
1 lime, sliced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black peppercorns
3 fresh thyme sprigs
3 fresh oregano sprigs
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1. Combine onion and next 9 ingredients in a large pan. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add chicken, and return to a boil. Cook 3 minutes, and then cover pan and remove from heat. Let stand for 18 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked, turning halfway through. Remove chicken, and discard poaching liquid.

No comments: