Saturday, January 16, 2010

Roasted Tomato Sauce

I had a few plum tomatoes that I needed to use, so I used them to make an easy tomato sauce. Dinner came together in less than 45 minutes—a plus because I worked late tonight. I added bell peppers to the roasting pan to up the veggie factor. Once the vegetables were roasted, they went into a bowl and were pureed with my immersion blender. This is terrific as a vegetarian sauce, but you could add some cooked and crumbled Italian chicken sausage (I buy it at Whole Foods). The sauce has 2 points per serving. Enjoy!

Roasted Tomato Sauce
6 plum tomatoes, quartered
1 onion, cut into chunks
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 bell pepper, cut into chunks
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dried basil
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Hot cooked pasta

1. Place tomatoes and next 3 ingredients on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, sugar, and basil.
2. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Place fresh oregano in bottom of a large bowl; spoon in vegetable mixture. Puree with an immersion blender until desired consistency. Stir in balsamic vinegar. Serve with hot cooked pasta.

No comments: