Monday, June 1, 2009

Pork Chops With Brussels Sprouts and Bacon

For dinner tonight, I wanted to use some pork chops that I had in the freezer. I had thought about making Pork Chops With Apple Gravy. In the fridge I had some brussels sprouts. That made me think about how well pork and cabbage goes together, so I decided to chop up the sprouts and cook them with chops. I served the dish with Risotto. Dinner was delicious, and believe or not, we were eating 35 minutes after I began cooking. For dessert, we had vanilla ice cream topped with warm leftover apple mixture from last week's fried pie experiment.

Pork Chops With Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
1/2 onion, chopped (I used the other half in the risotto.)
2 tsp. olive oil
2 bone-in pork chops
Paprika
Dried thyme
Salt
Pepper
2 bacon slices, chopped
8 oz. brussels sprouts, cut into slices (about 4 slices per sprout)
Zest and juice of 1 lemon

1. Sauté onion in hot oil, stirring occasionally, until onion softens. Sprinkle pork chops on both sides with next 4 ingredients. Place in skillet, and cook 2 minutes on each side; remove pork from skillet.
2. Add bacon slices to skillet, and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in brussels sprouts, and lemon zest and juice. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 more minutes. Return chops to skillet.
3. Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until chops are done and sprouts are caramelized and tender.

No comments: