Friday, February 12, 2010

Beef Stew and Cheese Grits

Today it actually snowed! We got about 2 inches—just enough to be really pretty, but not enough for power outages. I decided that Beef Stew served over Cheese Grits with steamed broccoli would be the perfect hearty supper. Mel, Russ, and the girls joined us. The stew came together in a snap and tasted terrific with the grits. I used stone-ground grits—these take 30 minutes (about the time it took to make the stew) to cook, but the taste and texture is totally worth it. If you haven't tried stone-ground grits, I highly recommend that you do. I buy McEwen & Sons, which are made in nearby Wilsonville, Alabama. Enjoy!

Beef Stew
2 bacon slices, chopped
1 (2.5-lb.) beef chuck roast, cut into chunks
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper
2 shallots, minced
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
5 carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into chunks
2 cups beef stock
3 fresh thyme sprigs
1 tsp. herbes de Provence
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
Cheese Grits

1. Sauté bacon in a Dutch oven until browned; remove from pan, reserving drippings. Add beef chunks to drippings, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until meat is browned on all sides; stir in flour, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove meat from Dutch oven.
2. Sauté shallots and next 2 ingredients in same Dutch oven for 10 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir in red wine, stirring to loosen browned particles on bottom of pan. Add in beef, potatoes, beef stock and next 3 ingredients. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until stew is thickened and potatoes are tender. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Serve over Cheese Grits.

Cheese Grits
2 cups milk
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup water
1 cup stone-ground grits
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. butter
4 oz. shredded colby-Jack cheese

1. Bring milk and next 2 ingredients to a boil. Gradually whisk in grits, and reduce heat to low. Simmer 25 minutes; stir in salt and pepper to taste, butter, and shredded cheese. Cook 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.

2 comments:

Robin said...

you have no idea how excited this post makes me. I bought two bags of McEwen and Sons stone ground grits at Pepper Place while I was down last summer. I have been rationing the second bag and just asked Katie to find a place for me to buy them when I come down in March.
Now I can order them...I am going to try the cornmeal and oatmeal while I am at it.
I have never made beef stew over grits-but it is now on my short list.
Thank you!

Rising Fawn said...

I love this! Is it possible to make this in a slow cooker so it can cook while I'm at work, and if so, would there be any necessary adjustments to this posted recipe?