Friday, February 26, 2010

Irish Soda Bread

This recipe was inspired by one from my mother-in-law. Mimi grew up eating Irish soda bread baked by her Irish-born grandmother in upstate New York. It's a favorite of Andy's because it reminds him of his childhood. I had never heard of Irish soda bread until l I joined their family, but I really like it. The texture is similar to an airy biscuit, and it has a touch of sweetness. I made a couple of tweaks to my m-i-l's recipe: I replaced 1 Tbsp. shortening with 2 Tbsp. butter because I didn't have shortening and I used dried cherries instead of raisins. Andy gave it two thumbs' up. Enjoy!

Irish Soda Bread
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. butter, cut into cubes
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup dried cherries

1. Cut butter into flour until texture resembles coarse sand. Stir in sugar and next 3 ingredients. Combine buttermilk and egg; gradually add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Stir in dried cherries. Pour batter into a lightly greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
2. Bake at 300° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until done.

No comments: