Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tiramisù

This recipe is also from Frank Stitt's Bottega Favorita cookbook. The first time I made it, I didn't follow the recipe because I was a little concerned about the raw eggs that form the rich custard between the layers of Polenta Pound Cake. However this time I decided to make it just like the cookbook instructs. This is my favorite dessert from Bottega. For the eggs, I used cage-free, hormone-free eggs from Whole Foods. I won't lie and say this recipe is easy. It's true that it isn't difficult to make, but you spend a lot of time beating egg whites to form soft peaks, so it certainly takes a while. I don't have an espresso maker, so I bought two shots of espresso from Starbucks to mix with the coffee. Our supper club really enjoyed it and Andy said he liked it even better the next day. Enjoy!

Tiramisù
9 eggs, separated
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 (8-oz.) containers mascarpone cheese, softened
1/2 Polenta Pound Cake, cut into slices
2 shots espresso
1 cup strong black coffee (I used my current favorite: O'Henry's Jazzy Java.)
Shaved bittersweet chocolate

1. Whisk together egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy. Stir in the mascarpone just until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into mascarpone mixture.
3. Arrange a layer of cake slices in the bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Combine espresso and coffee, and spoon half of mixture over cake slices. Top with half of egg mixture; sprinkle with shaved chocolate. Repeat layers once. Cover and chill overnight.

No comments: