Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Slow-Cooker Braised Beef Short Ribs

A couple of weeks ago, I made Braised Beef Short Ribs from Ad Hoc at Home for supper club. It was a terrific dish, but it took several hours to prepare the short ribs and to chop all the vegetables. Because of the huge time investment, I decided that wouldn't be a good recipe to post. However it did introduce me to boneless beef short ribs, which are available at Costco. I have made beef short ribs many times, because they are pretty cheap and benefit from long, slow cooking. However, boneless ones were new to me. For dinner tonight, I decided to cook the short ribs in the slow cooker to see if I could re-create the melting tenderness that I achieved with the more intensive recipe. And it was a success! I cooked the meat with hoisin sauce and vegetables. After a day in the slow cooker, the meat was fall-apart tender and seasoned perfectly. We ate them with lefttover Risotto and Roasted Zucchini. Enjoy!

Slow-Cooker Braised Beef Short Ribs
Beef short ribs (I cooked two in this recipe, but you can double it as many times as needed.)
Montreal steak seasoning
2 carrots, cut into thirds
1 onion, cut into chunks
2 celery stalks, cut into chunks
2 whole garlic cloves
3/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup water

1. Sprinkle steak seasoning on all sides of short ribs. Place carrots and next 3 ingredients in bottom of slow cooker. Top with short ribs; pour in hoisin sauce and next 2 ingredients. Cover and cook at LOW for 8 hours. Serve with vegetables and au jus, if desired.

No comments: