Monday, December 29, 2008

Mac and Cheese


This recipe is based on one from Barefoot Contessa. My niece Anna Claire told me that "it's the best I've ever had." She was quoting a movie, but I took it as a compliment. A food processor makes fast work of shredding the mountain of cheese.

Mac and Cheese
1 (16-oz.) box corkscrew-shaped pasta
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 quart milk (Tonight I used 3 cups skim milk combined with 1 cup heavy whipping cream.)
Salt and pepper
8 oz. Gouda, shredded
10 oz. white Cheddar cheese, shredded (I use Cracker Barrel brand.)
4 sourdough bread slices, processed into breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp. butter, melted

1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
2. Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large Dutch oven. Gradually sprinkle in flour, and cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, stirring until mixture thickens. Stir in salt and pepper. Gradually stir in cheeses. Pour in pasta, and stir to combine. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Combine breadcrumbs and melted 2 Tbsp. butter. Sprinkle over top of pasta mixture.
3. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.

No comments: