Monday, December 29, 2008

Meat Loaf

Yes, you read the title correctly. I never liked meat loaf until I tried a recipe for it from Cooking Light a few years ago. It won me over to this comfort food classic. Since then, I've developed my own version. So even if you think you don't like it, you need to try this recipe. I served this with mac and cheese and green beans.

Meat Loaf
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped (optional)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 lb. ground round
1 1/2 lb. ground pork
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
Salt
Pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
Ketchup

1. Sauté onion and, if desired, celery in hot oil until softened. Add in garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
2. Combine ground beef and pork in a large bowl. (I use clean hands.) Mix in sautéed onion mixture, Dijon mustard, and next 8 ingredients. Shape mixture into a oval loaf. Spread a thin layer of ketchup over top of meat loaf. Place on a lightly greased rack in a broiler pan.
3. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until done. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

No comments: