Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Roasted Asparagus

This has to be the easiest side dish on the planet. It tastes like spring! We had it with tomato sauce and pasta, but it's equally good with grilled steak or chicken. My grandmother (a.k.a. Granny Hunt) used to grow asparagus in her garden because she loved it so much. However the first time she told me that she had planted it, I had to ask her to spell the name of the vegetable. She pronounced it az-per-a-gus, and I had no idea what she meant!

Roasted Asparagus
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Zest and juice from 1 lemon
Parmesan cheese shavings

1. Arrange asparagus in a single layer on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Use a microplane grater to zest lemon over asparagus; squeeze lemon juice over top.
2. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Top with Parmesan cheese shavings, if desired. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

newB said...

Asparagus is one of our favorites as well. We like to saute' it, add grape tomatoes and finish with feta. I also have a recipe for an amazing asparagus soup that I can email.

Debs

Eric, Marilyn, and Elliott said...

Adding cheese = genius.