Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tomato Sauce With Chicken Sausage and Balsamic Vinegar

I'm always making different variations of tomato sauce, based on what I have in the pantry. Tonight I came up with a great flavor profile. The sausage was the chicken-roasted red pepper and garlic sausage made at Whole Foods. I combined it with some ground chuck I had in the freezer to make a meaty tomato sauce. The secret ingredient is balsamic vinegar. It doesn't have an overwhelming vinegar flavor; it just provides depth. Dinner was ready in about 45 minutes.

Tomato Sauce With Chicken Sausage and Balsamic Vinegar
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. olive oil
1 lb. chicken sausage, casings removed
1/2 lb. ground chuck
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (28-oz.) can whole tomatoes
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
3/4 cup water
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
Salt to taste
2 to 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Hot cooked pasta
Parmesan cheese shavings

1. Sauté onion in hot oil 5 minutes. Add in sausage and ground beef; cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is cooked and crumbled. Add in garlic, and cook 1 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, using spoon to break up tomatoes. Stir in tomato paste and next 6 ingredients. Cover and cook over low heat 20 minutes. Serve over hot cooked pasta, and top with Parmesan cheese shavings.

2 comments:

Katie B said...

Balsamic vinegar? I'm so intrigued!

Stephanie said...

I'd pay good money if you'd put me on a meal plan.