Thursday, April 23, 2009

Beef Brisket and Zucchini Cakes

Tonight we had a new recipe for Beef Brisket. Andy grew up eating brisket and loves it—it's one of his mom's specialties. I've made it once before and thought it was pretty tasty. It's also relatively inexpensive because one brisket can be used for several meals. The recipe I used tonight came from Pioneer Woman's blog. It takes a lot of time, but it is worth it. The flavor profile is similar to my m-o-l's recipe. I served it with mashed potatoes and Zucchini Cakes, which are also from Pioneer Woman. Andy was unsure about the Zucchini Cakes (think latkes without the potatoes) but was won over in the end. The recipe for the Zucchini Cakes calls for 1/2 to 3/4 cup breadcrumbs. I used Italian breadcrumbs (nice flavor); next time, though, I'll use a little less than 1/2 cup.

For the brisket, I marinated it from Sunday till Tuesday and then cooked it Tuesday night (it took 2 hours). Then I refrigerated it again and reheated it, covered with foil, tonight at 400° for about 25 minutes. I added some barbecue sauce to the cooking liquid. That sounds like a very involved process, but it was really pretty simple. It would be a great recipe to make on a weekend and use in several meals the next week.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I'm with Andy-brisket is one of my favorite meals. This recipe is going on the short list.