Monday, January 3, 2011

Company Pot Roast

Pot roast is not one of my favorite meals, so I never make it. However Andy really likes it and when I saw this recipe in Barefoot Contessa: Back to the Basics, I decided to try a variation of it. The original calls for the roast to cook in the oven, but I needed it to cook while I was away from home. Therefore this became a slow-cooker meal and you don’t get any easier than that! I reduced the amount of alcohol called for in the original. The depth of flavor is just right. After removing the roast from the slow cooker, I used my immersion blender to puree all the veggies left behind and plan to use the liquid as the base for a tomato-y beef stew. We enjoyed the roast over Cheese Grits made with gouda and Brussels Sprouts With Bacon. Enjoy!

Company Pot Roast
1 (4-lb.) boneless beef chuck roast
Montreal steak seasoning
Olive oil
4 carrots, cut into chunks
2 onions, cut into chunks
4 celery ribs, cut into chunks
3 leeks, cut in half and into chunks
5 garlic cloves, peeled
1 1/2 cups red wine
1 (28-oz.) can whole plum tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
3 fresh thyme sprigs
3 fresh rosemary sprigs

1. Sprinkle roast on both sides with steak seasoning. Brown roast on all sides in hot oil in a large Dutch oven.
2. Place carrots and next 4 ingredients in bottom of slow cooker. Place roast on top of vegetables. Add in red wine and next 2 ingredients. Place herbs on top of roast.
3. Cook on LOW for 8 hours or until done. Remove roast to a serving platter; puree vegetable mixture, and freeze for another use.

No comments: