Saturday, March 14, 2009

Apple Compote

I made Buttermilk Pancakes this morning. Instead of topping them with syrup, I decided to be fancy and make Apple Compote. The recipe I developed is simple, but it's yummy. For depth of flavor, I used a combination of cinnamon and allspice. This fruit mixture would be good served over pound cake and ice cream. It would also make a nice filling for apple turnovers. You could also sauté chopped onion with the apples, add a bit of balsamic vinegar, and serve it over roasted or grilled pork chops. Pork chops and applesauce, anyone? (Note: Pears would be an equally tasty substitution.)

Apple Compote
2 apples, halved, cored (I use my handy melon baller), and chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
Zest and juice of 1 orange
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1. Melt butter in a large skillet. Stir in apples and remaining ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until apples are very tender and liquid resembles syrup. Serve warm.

No comments: